- What is Spartan Marketplace?
- Why did MSU implement Spartan Marketplace?
- Which MSU department manages Spartan Marketplace?
- What are the features of Spartan Marketplace?
- What are the benefits of using Spartan Marketplace?
- Will Open Orders still be used to make purchases?
- Is there a markup on purchases made through Spartan Marketplace?
- Are there purchases that are excluded from Spartan Marketplace?
- Does Spartan Marketplace require the use of a specific browser?
- Can MSU Extension Offices use Spartan Marketplace?
- How do I access Spartan Marketplace?
- Can a student worker have access to Spartan Marketplace?
- Can our department have one Spartan Marketplace login that multiple people use?
- What will I be able to do after I’ve logged in to Spartan Marketplace?
- I'm in Spartan Marketplace but having trouble accessing the catalogs. What do I do?
- Will I still be able to make purchases from University Stores?
- Is University Stores in Spartan Marketplace?
- If I have favorites established in the University Stores catalog, will they transfer when I access the catalog from Spartan Marketplace?
- When University Stores is in Spartan Marketplace, how will I handle cylinder returns?
- Will I still be able to place orders for personal purchases through the University Stores catalog?
- Will the University Stores storefront stay open once Spartan Marketplace goes live?
- Do I need to be assigned a specific role in the Finance System to place an order through Spartan Marketplace?
- Is Spartan Marketplace available after hours?
- Can I order capital equipment in Spartan Marketplace?
- Can I set customized dollar thresholds for workflow routing?
- Is there a dollar threshold for orders placed through Spartan Marketplace?
- What if the item I need isn’t available in Spartan Marketplace?
- How will I know if an item is on backorder?
- Can I create a confirming purchase order in Spartan Marketplace?
- How will I know if my order has received by the supplier?
- How do I make changes to a PO created using Spartan Marketplace?
- How do I cancel an order?
- Can IPF Work Order Numbers be included as part of my profile?
- Is there a way to have custom info show up in the ledger?
- Is there a limit to the number of orders I can search for in Order History?
- What do I do if my room number doesn't appear in the system?
- How are Spartan Marketplace orders paid?
- Does Spartan Marketplace validate the account number?
- Can we split the billing for a Spartan Marketplace order?
- Can charges be split between account numbers by percentage or dollar amounts?
- Can I look up invoices for POs completed in Spartan Marketplace?
- Is shipping included in the cost of a Spartan Marketplace order?
- Do orders ship to my office?
- What do I do if I receive an order and it’s been shipped incorrectly?
- How long does it take from the time I place an order to the time it is delivered?
- Can we ship Spartan Marketplace orders to multiple locations?
- Can I have rush delivery?
- How are the suppliers in Spartan Marketplace chosen?
- Which suppliers are in Spartan Marketplace?
- What if the supplier I want to use isn’t in Spartan Marketplace?
What is Spartan Marketplace?
Spartan Marketplace is MSU’s online procurement solution. It provides MSU employees an easy, effective way to order departmental purchases from certain suppliers using contracted pricing.
Why did MSU implement Spartan Marketplace?
Many higher education institutions—in the Big Ten and elsewhere—use an e-procurement solution to increase purchasing effectiveness and decrease costs. Following an extensive Request for Proposal (RFP) process that was conducted by Purchasing, ESM Solutions was selected as the provider of the web-based tool, branded Spartan Marketplace.
Spartan Marketplace simplifies the procurement process for campus users, by locating suppliers in a single online environment where purchases can be made using strategic contracts that have been negotiated by Purchasing. It is intended to make obtaining items for units and departments easier, and more efficient and effective.
Which MSU department manages Spartan Marketplace?
University Services manages the solution and is responsible for the suppliers that are available through the site. A help desk is available to assist campus customers.
What are the features of Spartan Marketplace?
- It is an online purchasing and payment portal, that uses a “shopping cart” experience.
- Spartan Marketplace integrates with Finance System (also called KFS) to provide near real-time accounting information and to auto submit a requisition for orders
- EBS login provides access to several suppliers.
- Products may be searched for and selected from supplier catalogs.
- Once products are added to a cart and submitted, a requisition may be routed for additional approvals, if conditions are met.
- The system accepts an MSU account number.
- It’s easier. You may access suppliers with contracted pricing through a single portal and use sophisticated search functionality to view items from supplier catalogs.
- It saves money. Use of contracted pricing saves the university money and allows Purchasing to negotiate a better value.
- It saves time. Several large suppliers are located in one spot—and comparing prices is easy.
- Previous purchases are archived and easy to find.
Will Open Orders still be used to make purchases?
For an interim time period, yes. Supplier migration from Open Orders to Spartan Marketplace will be based on annual spend, the number of transactions, and the supplier's ability to provide online catalogs. When that process is completed, Open Orders will be phased out and purchases from remaining suppliers will be made via Pcard or through a requisition in the Finance System.
Is there a markup on purchases made through Spartan Marketplace?
Unlike the current Open Orders system where orders are charged an administrative markup, the contracted pricing on off-campus supplier catalogs will be what's paid by campus customers. There will be no markup on those orders.
Are there purchases that are excluded from Spartan Marketplace?
Purchases for capital equipment must not be made through Spartan Marketplace. Other purchases follow the same policy as reflected in the MBP.
Can MSU Extension Offices use Spartan Marketplace?
Typically, no. There are nine addresses where suppliers will ship. Note that campus orders all ship to University Stores (Central Shipping and Receiving) and are delivered to buildings using the existing truck routes. Extension Offices or other off-campus addresses not listed below should use a Pcard to make purchases, instead of using Spartan Marketplace.
166 SERVICE RD
EAST LANSING, MI 48824
|OFFICE ENV. HEALTH/SAFETY
ENG. RESEARCH COMPLEX
1449 ENG. RESEARCH CT C-125
EAST LANSING, MI 48824
MSUCOM AT MACOMB
242 HOWARD AVE
HOLLAND, MI 49424
VAN ANDEL INSTITUTE
MANAGEMENT ED. CTR.
KELLOGG BIO. STATION
MSU - TSMM
COLLEGE OF HUMAN MED. FLINT
DOW FOUNDATION BLDG
MIDLAND RES. INST.
Login and Access
How do I access Spartan Marketplace?
Login through EBS (ebs.msu.edu) and select the "Spartan Marketplace" tab. Typing marketplace.msu.edu into a browser will also take you to a login portal. MSUNet ID and password are required, as is two-factor authentication.
Can a student worker have access to Spartan Marketplace?
Yes. All currently active employees can place an order in Spartan Marketplace.
Can our department have one Spartan Marketplace login that multiple people use?
No, logins are based on an individual’s MSU NetID. There is no way to set up a shared login.
What will I be able to do after I’ve logged in to Spartan Marketplace?
You will have the ability to browse, add products to a cart, and place an order. Orders under $2,500 per supplier create a requisition and route automatically through the Finance System and generate a purchase order that is sent electronically to the supplier. Orders $2,500 and over will stop for approval by the unit’s fiscal officer and any other routing the department currently has set up on requisitions. Note that dollar thresholds are customizable within the Finance System. Once approved, the purchase order will be generated and route to the supplier electronically.
I'm in Spartan Marketplace but having trouble accessing the catalogs. What do I do?
In some instances, brower-related issues can affect Spartan Marketplace functionality. Clearing your browser cache can often correct the problem. Directions for clearing your cache
If I search for an item, sometimes all the results aren’t returned. Why?
Within Spartan Marketplace, suppliers have different technical capabilities as far as searching for their products. Some supplier catalogs won’t return results when you type a keyword in the search bar. You will need to click on their catalog to search for items. Other supplier catalogs will return results if you type a keyword into the search bar. Next to the supplier catalogs on the homepage of Spartan Marketplace, it indicates whether that supplier's products are searchable.
Will I still be able to make purchases from University Stores?
Yes. The University Stores online catalog is accessible through Spartan Marketplace. Purchases can also be made in-store at 166 Service Road.
Is University Stores in Spartan Marketplace?
Yes, University Stores is a supplier within Spartan Marketplace. To access the University Stores catalog, click the Spartan Marketplace tab after logging in to EBS.
If I have favorites established in the University Stores catalog, will they transfer when I access the catalog from Spartan Marketplace?
Favorites established in the University Stores catalog will transfer to Spartan Marketplace. Saved carts, however, will not transfer.
When University Stores is in Spartan Marketplace, how will I handle cylinder returns?
Once the order is submitted, go to Order History, open the Requisition/Order Doc and navigate to the Notes and Attachments tab. Add the serial number of the cylinder in the Notes section, click the Add button, and click Close.
Will I still be able to place orders for personal purchases through the University Stores catalog?
Yes. The existing link to the catalog will remain in place until February 8, 2016, when the final rollout launches to campus. After that, a link will be available on the University Services website for campus customers to reserve merchandise for personal use and pay for it at University Stores—exactly like the process currently in place. Visit the University Services website and locate the University Stores Personal Use Orders link.
Will the University Stores storefront stay open once Spartan Marketplace goes live?
Yes. University Stores will stay open as usual, from 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. University Stores is located at 166 Service Rd.
Do I need to be assigned a specific role in the Finance System to place an order through Spartan Marketplace?
No. All current active employees (including student workers) identified in the Finance System can place an order without being assigned a role.
Is Spartan Marketplace available after hours?
Yes, orders may be placed at any time. If the Finance System is unavailable due to maintenance, all placed orders will be automatically transferred once the system is available.
Can I order capital equipment in Spartan Marketplace?
Capital equipment should NOT be ordered through Spartan Marketplace.
Can I set customized dollar thresholds for workflow routing?
Yes. Within the Finance System, adjustable thresholds can be set by account number. A threshold will determine the dollar amount at which Spartan Marketplace (including University Stores) orders route to the fiscal officer for approval. If no threshold is set, orders will not stop for fiscal officer approval unless they are $2,500 or more. The default threshold of $2,500 is consistent with Pcard, Open Orders, and University Stores.
Is there a dollar threshold for orders placed through Spartan Marketplace?
No. Routing of orders is based on the total amount per supplier. Orders $2,500 and over will stop for approval within the Finance System by department-defined routing. Orders above a certain threshold (defined differently per supplier by Purchasing) will stop for Purchasing approval. It is possible to customize workflow routing (by account number) with the Finance System so that orders can stop for fiscal officer approval at any set dollar amount.
What if the item I need isn’t available in Spartan Marketplace?
To take advantage of contracted pricing—and ultimately save university resources—please purchase from suppliers within Spartan Marketplace whenever possible. If an item is not available within Spartan Marketplace, a Pcard or requisition may be used. For some period of time Open Orders will remain in place.
How will I know if my order has been received by the supplier?
You will receive an FYI e-mail from the Finance System (if you have preferences set up to send e-mail notifications) and a confirmation e-mail from the supplier.
How do I make changes to a PO created using Spartan Marketplace?
It is not possible to change a PO once issued. Contact the Spartan Marketplace Help Desk for assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 884-6177.
How do I cancel an order in Spartan Marketplace?
To cancel an order placed in Spartan Marketplace, contact the supplier directly. See Supplier Contact Information. You will need to vertify with the supplier whether the order has already shipped. If the order has not shipped, ask the supplier to cancel your order and send you an e-mail confirming the cancellation. You must then send an e-mail to the Help Desk at email@example.com to have your purchase order canceled in KFS.
If the order has shipped you will need to process a return. See return instructions.
Is there a way to have custom info show up in the ledger?
You may use the Org Ref ID field in the accounting line to type in information that will appear on the ledger. There is room for eight characters in the field.
Is there a limit to the number of orders I can search for in Order History?
Yes. You may search by several attributes by the most recent 100 transactions. Beyond that, you will need to perform a search within the Finance System.
What do I do if my room number doesn't appear in the system?
If your room number is in the Finance System, it will be available in Spartan Marketplace. If you do a search and can't find your room number, pick a valid room number and click "Add." Type the correct room as part of your address line. To have a room number added, contact Glenn DeYoung.
How are Spartan Marketplace orders paid?
After an order ships, the supplier submits an electronic invoice which creates a PREQ (Payment Request) document in KFS. It routes to the fiscal officer for approval and will link to the related requisition and purchase order.
Can charges be split between account numbers by percentage or dollar amounts?
Billing can be split by percentage only, not by dollar amount. Actual expenses can be adjusted by dollar amount on the Payment Request document, as is done today in the Finance System.
Can I look up invoices for POs completed in Spartan Marketplace?
No. Because everything is done electronically, there are no actual invoices produced. However, Payment Request documents are created using the electronic invoice that was submitted by the supplier and can be searched within the Finance System.
Is shipping included in the cost of a Spartan Marketplace order?
For most suppliers, yes, the cost of items in the catalogs includes standard shipping. Life Technologies orders will NOT include shipping costs—they will be billed on the back end and users will not see the charges on the purchase order. Note that for any supplier, there may be additional handling charges (for items such as dry ice). Rush orders that may require additional shipping costs should be placed by contacting the supplier directly, and not through Spartan Marketplace.
Do orders ship to my office?
On campus, orders ship to University Services Central Shipping and Receiving, where they are received and delivered by University Services Logistics. Packages are delivered to buildings or offices by Logistics as part of the existing truck routes.
What do I do if I receive an order and it’s been shipped incorrectly?
Please contact the supplier directly to resolve an issue with an order.
How long does it take from the time I place an order to the time it is delivered?
Orders typically ship from the supplier the same day or next day, once the PO is received. Please note that if approvals are needed within the Finance System, suppliers will not receive the PO until all approvals have been completed.
Can I ship Spartan Marketplace orders to multiple locations?
Yes. You may have different "Deliver To" addresses associated with your profile, though you may only use one address per order. A separate order must be placed for each delivery location.
|B&H Photo||Moses Shtesl||(800) 947-8003 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dot Scientific, Inc.||Toni Kelley||(800) email@example.com|
|Fisher Scientific||Jim Van Vooren||(574) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Galloup||Rick Smith||(517) email@example.com|
|Grainger||Bradley Wilks||(313) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Graybar||Sean Murray||O: (517) 827-6214
C: (517) 242-6567
|Kendall Electric||Joanne Cebelak||(517) email@example.com|
|Lansing Sanitary Supply||Gina Rambat||(517) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Life Technologies||Daniele Young||(651) 233-3662||Daniele.Young@thermofisher.com|
|MarxModa||Brian Johnson||O: (517) 679-0784
C: (517) 285-7257
|McMaster-Carr||Customer Service||(330) email@example.com|
|Office Depot||Erinn Dennany||(517) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Qiagen||Andrew Fritts||(317) 565-3586|
|VWR||Nina Cole||(858) email@example.com|
|Wesco||Ken Miller||(517) 203-6608||KenMiller@wesco.com|
Complete the supplier's material return authorization form, attach it to your item, and submit a Service Request (EBS login required). Select the "Parcel UPS/Fed Ex" option on the Service Request for smaller shipments or the "Freight" option for larger shipments. Place the item in your building mailroom or dock, and Logistics will pick it up for return.
To return a purchase from Apple or Dell, please contact the MSU Computer Store at (517) 432-0700.
Return items to University Stores using the University Stores Return and Exchange form.
Refer to Returns on Purchase Orders on the University Services website for more information.
How are the suppliers in Spartan Marketplace chosen?
Suppliers in Spartan Marketplace have been selected through a competitive bid and negotiation process. Campuswide strategic contracts are in place that offer the best overall value to the university.
Which suppliers are in Spartan Marketplace?
Suppliers that sell a variety of products—including office supplies, maintenance/repair goods, scientific supplies, computers, and more—can be found in Spartan Marketplace. Please visit Spartan Marketplace to view the most current list of suppliers.
What if the supplier I want to use isn’t in Spartan Marketplace?
You may use a Pcard or create a requisition in the Finance System if the supplier or product you need isn’t available through Spartan Marketplace. Open Orders will remain available for some period of time after Spartan Marketplace goes live.
How can I get help?
For assistance, contact University Services' Spartan Marketplace Help Desk.