Sending Bulk Mail
Prior to submitting MSU bulk mail to the United States Postal Service (USPS), all suppliers must get approval from Mail Services.
This requirement ensures USPS compliance with the preparation, addressing, move update validation, and entry guidelines. It also helps MSU properly maintain postage account balances and internal accounting processes.
All USPS Standard Mail Statements must include
- department name
- department contact
- department account number (enter this in the Customer Reference ID located on the mail statement form)
The East Lansing Bulk Mail Entry Unit is authorized by Mail Services to reject mailings that do not include this information.
Mail Services Terms and Conditions
The term “mailer” encompasses anyone involved with the preparation, entry, and transportation of a Bulk Mailing, including printers, agents, shippers, contractors, consolidators, or others on behalf of Michigan State University.
Bulk Mail Entry Office
United States Postal Service, bulk mail entry (BME) unit has agreed to refuse entry of Michigan State University bulk mailings under Permit 249, unless prior approval is received from MSU and the stated conditions are met.
The mailer will abide by USPS requirements in the preparation, address validation, and entry guidelines. The mailer must present the following documents for each bulk mailing to Michigan State University Mail Services prior to entry at the Postal Service. Failure to submit documentation to Mail Services will result in non‐acceptance at the BME unit.
- copy of entry forms as provided for the mail entry type
- Standard mail – PS3600R, PS3602NZ, PS3605R
- Periodical mail – PS3541, PS3541M
- International mail – PS3700
- Customs forms – PS2976, PS2976A, PS2976E
Use the Customer Reference ID field for the departmental account number
- individual or consolidated postage statement(s)
- copy of the mail piece being entered
- copy/confirmation of the CASS certification
- copy of the updated mailing lists
- copy of the work order including
- work order number, department name, department contact, phone number, and departmental account number
How to Submit Documentation for Review
All supporting documentation will be emailed to Mail Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact Mail Services at (517) 884-6084 with questions.